On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@chromium.org> wrote:

> One approach that seems obvious to a lot of people I've talked to is asking
> the user (maybe via an info bar?) whenever an origin hits its limit

Putting aside the technical questions here, I'm a little skeptical from a UI
perspective.  How do I know what's OK and what's not?  If a "bad" app wants
to use a lot of disk, can it convince me to let it if I'm a novice user?  In
other words, are my choices going to be significantly better than random, if
I don't know a ton about computers (e.g. can't keep track of the difference
between "disk" and "memory" usage)?

In the world of normal applications, you basically give them arbitrary
permission to use your disk, but the good ones write some requirements ahead
of time like "requires 200 MB free hard drive space" and warn you at install
if you're below that.  Can we make the UI more like that, where you make a
single trust decision up front?  Yes an app can lie, but normally-installed
apps can lie too.  Can we provide enough ranking and feedback somewhere to
make this decision easier on users?  For example, "57% of users chose to
install <foo.com>, and gave it an average rating of 2.3 stars."

Finally, 5 MB?  I hardly blink at 100 MB these days, and the average hard
drive now is something north of 100 GB.

PK