I don't know much about the technical details at play here, but a
couple of high level notes:

- I am sympathetic to concerns around codebase cleanliness. Many
people (like Brett) have spent very many months maintaining and
improving the hygiene of Chrome code. Sometimes it feels like an
uphill battle. Some people (like myself) tend to be more forgiving of
temporary clutter when you have an established track record of making
these changes and then swiftly sweeping up afterwards.

- We have a growing number of ifdefs. It's getting hard to understand
when and why each is set. As someone proposing to add more, it'd be
much appreciated if you'd put together a doc on our website (and link
it up) noting when the common ones are set. If you start such a doc,
people can continue to augment/update it with others.

So sorry if it seems like you're getting the third degree here, I just
think it's a good idea for the team at large to know what's going on
so we can all remember to follow up from time to time.

-Ben