On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpra...@chromium.org> wrote:

> I think two sheriffs in US/Pacific during US/Pacific work hours is
> plenty.

I was told at lunch that we already try to some degree to schedule PST with
non-PST people (although obvioulsy there are far more of the former), which
gives me the impression that there is a large percentage of time where we
have one, rather than two, sheriffs.  That is perhaps the most important
thing I'm trying to rectify in this proposal.

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Nicolas Sylvain <nsylv...@google.com>
 wrote:

> As for http://dev.chromium.org/developers/tree-sheriffs, every sheriff
> receives it in the reminder email the day before they start their sheriff
> duty.

I see calendar reminder mails and think of them as conveying a reminder of
an event, so I'd never noticed that these mails also mention a web page I'm
supposed to be reading.  I know that is my own fault, but maybe there are
others in the same boat.  In any case, I still think Ben's suggestions would
be useful.

Overall I am surprised at how many people are skeptical of this proposal
given how unilaterally positive the smaller lunchtime discussion was.  I
guess I perceive us as not having a very effective sheriff system right
now--it's certainly been difficult for me--and am looking for ways to remedy
that.  It seems like those who aren't in favor of this generally wouldn't
agree with that assessment, and thus perceive this as adding overhead and
reducing effectiveness rather than combating a notable lack.  If that is
accurate, I'm not sure how to square the two worldviews.  I guess I will
leave this idea in the hands of the green tree task force to decide whether
it would be helpful.

PK