I don't know what you were using before but there is no
new ACL system. ZFS has always been using ACLs and there
is no way to turn that off.

We recommend people to set an ACL like this on their shared
directory:

[need to do this on your Solaris box]

# chmod A=everyone@:full_set:fd:allow <directory>

This gives everyone full control, if you want finer control you
need to play with the ACL. If you are familiar with Windows ACL
GUI, it's easier that you do the chmod above, and then play
with the ACL from a Windows client.

By the way, CIFS on 2009.06 has some known problems so I'd
recommend you to upgrade to the latest development build before
you run into some run time issues.

Afshin

Michelle Knight wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've managed to get so far with cifs and I'm slightly stuck.

Server - Open Solaris 2009-6, publishing a ZFS pool via sharesmb.

Client - Ubuntu 9.10

Share is mounted on the client with the command via...
sudo smbmount //192.168.0.106/mirror /home/michelle/mirror2 -o
user=username,password=password,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

...so far so good.

The problem is that I don't understand what is happening when I write a file to
the share. I think it is a new ACL system which is more than what I want/need
... this is the first time I'm really getting to grips with this and it has
caught me out.

The permissions are reading ----------+ and I don't understand why. I'd prefer
them to at least be read/write to the owner. (the owner and group are correct)
I think it is the new ALC, but I'm not certain. Much of the things I've been
reading about the new ACL is above my head.

You see, if I start to transfer files, I get a message on the client stating, "Could not
change permissions for <file>" and I think it is down to the permissions given to
the file, by the server, when it is written to the server.

What am I missing please? If it is down to the new ACL, then how do I turn it
off?