A complete update doesn't work; I have to roll back.  Any suggestions welcome.

> CIFS and SMB are different names for Microsoft file sharing protocol.

I asked because on a post on the SMB list I was advised to post here; I'm not
sure what the difference is.

Regarding the ~ in the file name issue,  on the server itself I can change in
to that directory fine, no problem, and can create whatever I like.

However, the client can't even see any files I create in that location, let
alone write anything there.

Does that suggest a bug with the cifs implementation?

The other information will come shortly.