Michelle Knight wrote:
Hi Afshin,

Many thanks for the feedback.

I can't give everyone full control. Any understandable manuals on the ACL
please?

You can take a look at chmod(1) man page or ZFS administration guide document.

I've tried to update four machines over the last few days; all of them failed
and had to be rolled back, so I'm not sure exactly what is causing it.

Part of me is thinking of waiting for 2010-2 to come out, export the ZFS pool,
build afresh and reimport again. What do you think?

I can't really make a useful recommendation here, you need to see if you
can wait or not considering the fact that you might run into problem
using the CIFS server that comes with 2009.06 and the fact that we don't
provide patches so the only way to get the fix for known issues is to
upgrade.

Why is it giving such a permission to the files? Is there any way I can tell it
to use the old system? If I go through it and manually chmod the files, it
happily takes what I say ... or am I being too simplistic about this?

As I mentioned there is no old/new system. ZFS has always been
supporting ACLs. The only thing here is that ACL inheritance works
a bit differently over CIFS to be Windows compatible. So, to see
the expected result you need to set your ACLs properly. If you
setup your shared directory ACL properly, you don't need to do
anything for new files. For existing files you can use chmod.

If you want to see the actual ACL on a file and not the faked
UNIX permissions you need to use either "-v" or "-V" option with
ls on your Solaris box.

We are working to "improve" UNIX permission display based on the
ACL to be less confusing. I'm not sure if that improvement is going
to make it to the next OpenSolaris release or not.

Afshin