Me too,
i had a title fading, and at the same time a black background on
which a video was appearing (alpha increasing from 0 to 1).
My first impression was that the title was flickering, but I
think it was only a perceptual impression, looking at the single
frames the title intensity is changing correctly, as well as the
video.

Try to analize the frames of the transition with gimp or another
graphic program.
You can get the frames as jpeg files by playing the video with:
mplayer -vo jpeg yourvideo.avi
(not completely sure of the syntax, in case man mplayer)

Ciao, Leo