Leonardo wrote:
Me too,
i had a title fading, and at the same time a black background on
which a video was appearing (alpha increasing from 0 to 1).
My first impression was that the title was flickering, but I
think it was only a perceptual impression, looking at the single
frames the title intensity is changing correctly, as well as the
video.

Try to analize the frames of the transition with gimp or another
graphic program.
You can get the frames as jpeg files by playing the video with:
mplayer -vo jpeg yourvideo.avi
(not completely sure of the syntax, in case man mplayer)

I've noticed that in some videos I've made as well - the background appears to change the way the title fades in. This is still different. In the sample file (http://www.f-forge.com/?d=EdD1UKgj9LQsCupcxJwR), the flicker is quite obvious - it's not coming from a contrast with the background. Rather, the title slowly and smoothly fades out until the final frame of fading out, at which point that single last frame shows the title at full visibility.

I can observe this flicker in cinelerra's compositor during playback and during frame-by-frame advancement.

Joe