In
Cinelerra, there is a configuration setting for how low you want the level
meters to go.
I discoved that this is for the meter only, and the minimum that cinelerra forces to -Inf dB is -40 dB!! See cinelerra/virtualanode.C which contains:
if(fade_value <= INFINITYGAIN) fade_value = 0;

and INFINITYGAIN is defined in guicast/units.h as:
#define INFINITYGAIN -40

I proposed on the IRC to change this to -96 to account for 16 bit audio, (the most people are likely to work with). j6t and i agreed to this idea, but more recently, I have realised that people loading old projects with levels of -40 dB would suddenly find that the audio signals will not be forced to -Inf dB any more, and thus they will hear sounds. Prior to discussions with j6t on IRC, I had been considering setting the "INFINITYGAIN" as a property of the current project (thus 24 bit audio freaks could specify huge attenuations). j6t advised against this (micromanagement), but on considering the problem of old projects issues, I wish for this to be re-considered. What do people think? I personally see the idea of having a per-project minimum dB as good, both for backward compatibilty, as well as for professionals..

I was going to also make the default for new projects independent of the last project, (i.e. the default for a new project would always be -96 dB.)

Pierre

What numbers have I to write if I want silence when the white fade line
is at the bottom margin of the track and a slightly too loud sound when
the line is at the top margin?

The defaults should be like that already.