On Saturday 30 September 2006 17:45, Pierre Marc Dumuid wrote:
> Prior to discussions with j6t on IRC, I had been considering setting the
> "INFINITYGAIN" as a property of the current project (thus 24 bit audio
> freaks could specify huge attenuations).  j6t advised against this
> (micromanagement), but on considering the problem of old projects
> issues, I wish for this to be re-considered.  What do people think?  I
> personally see the idea of having a per-project minimum dB as good, both
> for backward compatibilty, as well as for professionals..
>
> I was going to also make the default for new projects independent of the
> last project, (i.e. the default for a new project would always be -96 dB.)

I still don't see a necessity for a _user settable_ option.

I now propose to indeed make this "INFINITYGAIN" a project option, -96dB by
default (or even -144dB to account for 24bit audio) for _new_ projects.

But:
- write the setting into a property;
- read the property in with -40dB if it is not present in the file.

(place sufficient commentary into this code, please, to document the design
decisions ;)

-- Hannes