mark stavar wrote:
Alas,

It would appear that, though my card and glxinfo _say_ they support
OpenGL 2.0, it would appear that in fact they do not.  (GeForce FX
5700 256Mb)
I seem to remember looking into this and discovering that the Geforce 5xxx series only support OpenGL 2.0 with software/emulation of some functions. I also read that you need to put a line in your xorg.conf to enable this but perhaps with newer nvidia drivers that isn't neccessary. You might need to do some googling and/or buy a new card.

Some cinelerra functionality won't be accelerated on OpenGL anyway. Somewhere there is a list of which effects get accelerated (try the manual). The order of processing in the effects chain also impacts on whether the OpenGL is effective.
Graham