My cinelerra is loading jpgs, pngs (and TIFF) fine - although my greyscale jpeg came out green. hmm.

You need to describe in more detail the steps you are taking. For instance perhaps you have 'load new resources only' set in the load window. Perhaps you are loading only single frames of png and failing to see them arrive as they are so small on the timeline. It's too hard to tell what is going wrong. There is no version of cinelerra I have heard fail this very basic task. Although such a bug could exist you have failed to convince as yet...

Graham E.