Mark Carter wrote:
> From: Christian Thaeter [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> The SVN was declared to be following HV and staying mergeable, hence I
>> started my 'ct' branch where developers can work without this brakeshoe.
>
> If I understand correctly:
> * Cinelerra-CV is the ct branch, and the ct branch is considered "stable"
no:
cinelerra-CV is the SVN provided on cinelerra.org

'ct' is my private experiment to seed a version where people can
actively do development work which may yield stable releases from time
to time.

> * Ubuntu uses the ct branch to create Cinelerra
I dont know what ubuntu uses. There are some fixes in 'ct' and people
reported my branch working well (except some build system bug I can't
track down, when it builds it should be stable at the current state)

> * cinelerra-svn is a track of the svn repository. What's the svn repository?
cinelerra.org has a SVN repository, the git repository here at
pipapo.org just tracks that for convinience.

> * you are now mostly working on Cinelerra 3, and not the ct branch
currently true, the reason I started the cin3 thing was when I found
some things which are hard to impossible to fix in cin2 (and thus in the
'ct' branch) which made me thinking that 'ct' may fail its goal being a
refactoring/improvement. Dunno now if thats true but it definately needs
much more work, prolly more than I want to invest alone. (Well, doing a
cinelerra3 rewrite is even more work, but we will gain more than just
bugfixes from that)

> So a good strategy for those hoping to see their stuff into Ubuntu would
> be to base their repo on the ct branch?
I ever declared my 'ct' branch as private experiment, until others joins
these efforts and it could be blessed some official
'cinelerra-improved'. This was only meant as seed for such a 'improved'
version while I dont want to maintain it alone for an eternity.

I had some talk with the ubuntu studio people some time ago with the
conclusion that when they have issues (they had some about licensing)
they should maintain their own branch and solve their issues in a way
which is possible to feed back either into my branch or into SVN. I
offered help when they approach me with this concept, so far no one came
along so I don't really know whats going on there. When someone of the
Ubuntu people reads this, please make a statement about this.

I think, I write a separate mail about cinelerra2 maintenace..

        Christian