Hi E,
My opinions are based upon only twenty-four hours of real editing time,
so I haven't had the chance to test all of Cinelerra's effects, but I'll
give you a quick summary of my impressions.

I bought a Dell SC1430, 64-bit Intel dual quad core running at 1.6Ghz.
Since Cinelerra is optimized for multiple CPUs (cores), I thought the
more the better, right?  Well..the reality is a little different.

For specific video effects that are really CPU intensive, like the Oil
Painting effect, all processors are utilized at 100%.  This is great.
However, I've noticed that for most editing and project rendering tasks
(using a project with simple transitions/fades/keyframes/effects like
histogram), Cinelerra only utilizes a small portion of each CPU, roughly
30% at peak.  This bugged me, because I had hoped that all CPUs should
be utilized 100% all the time during any task.  But my opinion was based
on a naive view of how Cinelerra utilizes system resources.

One nice thing about having lots of cores is to use them for background
rendering, a feature I never used on my single core box because it took
up too much CPU.  Background rendering allows you to see the effects
you've applied to the timeline, rendered in realtime.  The "realtime"
part of this doesn't really happen for me; even with eight cores, there
is lag time before I can playback the pre-rendered hdv video.  I believe
the bottleneck in this case is slow CPU speed of each core: 1.6Ghz in
the case of my Dell.

My thought so far is that if I had to do it again, I'd want a dual, dual
core running at 3.2Ghz.  That way, I get the benefits of multicores,
plus the benefits of fast CPUs.  Also, I'd probably go for an AMD
Opteron multicore, because the AMD hyper-transport technology has much
better throughput than the Intel Front Side Bus technology. This article
in Linux Journal was very instructive:
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:R95w9nhv680J:www.linux-mag.com/microsites.php%3Fsite%3Dbusiness-class-hpc%26sid%3Dmain%26p%3D4183+site:linux-mag.com+opteron+quad+core+intel+cloverton&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&lr=lang_en&client=firefox-a

"Unlike a single FSB, hyper-transport allows more total memory bandwidth
throughout the system and there is less contention for memory."  I
suspect that Cinelerra would perform much better on an AMD system with
less memory bandwidth constraints than the Intel Clovertons I use.

In sum, I think the most important factors to you should be the CPU
speed of each core and the memory throughput of the server architecture.
To answer your question specifically, my observations lead me to believe
that perhaps an FSB 1333 with duo core 3Ghz would better utilize each
CPU than a slower CPU & FSB quad core.  But look into the AMDs.  I'm
willing to bet that they'd give you much better performance.

scott