E Chalaron wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just to carry on with my initial post regarding hardware.
> Considering that I just need power to render, not for editing (which
> seems to trigger the problem with multi cpus), I always thought that
> getting a rendering farm of PS3 could be smart ?
> I am most probably not aware of potential issues. So consider it as a
> naive question.
> cheers

Cinelerra is in no way optimized for Power PC or the SPE's in a Cell
processor, at best you could get it working on the (main) PPC processor
of a Cell CPU with moderate performance. Probably even that would give
some serious headache (maybe easier, sony supports linux on cell).
Adding support for the Cell SPE processors which give the magic
performance boost would introduce a new code path for rendering, thats
something which is somewhere between much much work and impossible in
current cinelerra, I doubt anyone would waste massive developers
resources to for such a very specific hardware.

Even for cin3 we won't support that, it is just to much work for now.
The design of cin3 should be open enough to add such things but the work
 for implementing such extra code paths would be massive and likely not
be done anytime soon.

I recognize that the advantages would be enormous but if we want some
(far) future support for special hardware we should at least choose
something which has an open API and will be available/compatible for the
years coming. I suggest to delay this decision for the time being and
then see whats there (GPU cards for general purpose computing become
available now, maybe Cell blades / expansion cards, future will tell).

Supporting a game console might be nice because of the low price tag,
but product cycles are likely faster than we can write software for it :P

        Christian