Your disk performance may be holding you back as well. On the oil
effect, you are CPU bound, on a faster effect (e.g. grayscale) you
will be primarily IO bound. Here's an example. Only recently (in the
past 3 years) has Discreet moved to x86. Before that they were selling
their highest end product (for editing 4K film) on a quad CPU 1Ghz.
But they smoked the competition when it came to performance. Why? Most
of the time these systems had a 10-30 fibre channel RAID behind them.
This allowed the Tezro and Onyx3 systems to edit 5 streams of
real-time 4k video on a system that had basically no number crunching
power. 9 times out of 10 you will be limited by your disk performance,
not the CPU.

I would suggest running a bonnie++ benchmark on your disks, from there
you can calculate an approximate max fps processing rate for the
disks.

Timothy

On Dec 27, 2007 10:55 AM, Scott C. Frase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi E,
> My opinions are based upon only twenty-four hours of real editing time,
> so I haven't had the chance to test all of Cinelerra's effects, but I'll
> give you a quick summary of my impressions.
>
> I bought a Dell SC1430, 64-bit Intel dual quad core running at 1.6Ghz.
> Since Cinelerra is optimized for multiple CPUs (cores), I thought the
> more the better, right?  Well..the reality is a little different.
>
> For specific video effects that are really CPU intensive, like the Oil
> Painting effect, all processors are utilized at 100%.  This is great.
> However, I've noticed that for most editing and project rendering tasks
> (using a project with simple transitions/fades/keyframes/effects like
> histogram), Cinelerra only utilizes a small portion of each CPU, roughly
> 30% at peak.  This bugged me, because I had hoped that all CPUs should
> be utilized 100% all the time during any task.  But my opinion was based
> on a naive view of how Cinelerra utilizes system resources.
>
> One nice thing about having lots of cores is to use them for background
> rendering, a feature I never used on my single core box because it took
> up too much CPU.  Background rendering allows you to see the effects
> you've applied to the timeline, rendered in realtime.  The "realtime"
> part of this doesn't really happen for me; even with eight cores, there
> is lag time before I can playback the pre-rendered hdv video.  I believe
> the bottleneck in this case is slow CPU speed of each core: 1.6Ghz in
> the case of my Dell.
>
> My thought so far is that if I had to do it again, I'd want a dual, dual
> core running at 3.2Ghz.  That way, I get the benefits of multicores,
> plus the benefits of fast CPUs.  Also, I'd probably go for an AMD
> Opteron multicore, because the AMD hyper-transport technology has much
> better throughput than the Intel Front Side Bus technology. This article
> in Linux Journal was very instructive:
> http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:R95w9nhv680J:www.linux-mag.com/microsites.php%3Fsite%3Dbusiness-class-hpc%26sid%3Dmain%26p%3D4183+site:linux-mag.com+opteron+quad+core+intel+cloverton&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&lr=lang_en&client=firefox-a
>
> "Unlike a single FSB, hyper-transport allows more total memory bandwidth
> throughout the system and there is less contention for memory."  I
> suspect that Cinelerra would perform much better on an AMD system with
> less memory bandwidth constraints than the Intel Clovertons I use.
>
> In sum, I think the most important factors to you should be the CPU
> speed of each core and the memory throughput of the server architecture.
> To answer your question specifically, my observations lead me to believe
> that perhaps an FSB 1333 with duo core 3Ghz would better utilize each
> CPU than a slower CPU & FSB quad core.  But look into the AMDs.  I'm
> willing to bet that they'd give you much better performance.
>
> scott

> [...]

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but
tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very
expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and no one dares criticize it.
(Pierre Gallois)