On 14/11/12 06:53, Einar Rünkaru wrote:
Hi.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Basil Chupin <blchu...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

The video/audio is actually 1.4 seconds out and for which I have
adjusted the Preferences but this setting doesn't seem to "stick" when the
project is being rendered into a *.mov file.

The setting in preferences affects only playback in cinelerra. Use
nudge if there is syncronization error in rendered file.

Thanks for this, Einar, and this point now has me most puzzled for a number of reasons - the first being is that I produced 4 parts of the series and they all look excellent when played back with, say, VLC; it is the 5th part which is causing me hassles.

The real hassle I have with this is that I looked at the manual again and what you say is correct which then leads one to ask the question: of what use is the Audio Offset when the it is not taken into account when the file is rendered? Its only use appears to be to make you view a file in Cinelerra *only* so that its video and audio are in sync. But this only leads to the wrong outcome in the rendered file.

OK, there is the facility to *nudge* the audio to sync with the video. But any nudging starts off on the wrong foot because the Audio Offset is operating and so while you think that the video and audio are in sync on the timeline the final render will be out of sync because the Audio Offset is ignored.

If my understanding of things is as I just mentioned then the use of the Audio Offset is a waste of time and one should simply edit a file with Audio Offset = 0.000 and only use the Nudge facility to synchronise video/audio.

Am I misunderstanding things?

I have looked at many tutorials on YouTube re Cinlelerra and I cannot see any of them covering this matter. (And the manual is more confusing than helpful in many instances - it seems that it was thrown together just for the sake of producing a manual to be read by someone who already knows all about Cinlelerra.)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.3 & kernel 3.6.6-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor