On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 22:51 +0100, Gert Doering wrote: > Do they still ask about "Class B" networks, and "how many subnets of > 16 hosts can you put into a Class C" (ignoring the now-default of > "ip subnet-zero") and such crappy stuff?
I may be pedantic now (it' getting late!), but "ip subnet-zero" doesn't change the number of hosts you can cram into an unsubnetted /24 network, class C or otherwise, does it? As I understand it, it just means that you can use the first subnet of a network, like the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet of 10.0.0.0. > This is the sort of question that annoys me most - stupid historic brain > garbage that shouldn't be *taught* to people in the first place. Well yeah, classful addressing is mostly historical. But ICND also covers RIPv1, right? Anyway, I still find it funny that even a lot of professionals can't distinguish the 3.4.5.0/24 (a subnet) from 201.202.203.0/24 (a network). I see it more as a question of "correct grammar" though, which is also often unnecessary but a nice aesthetic touch. On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 16:08 -0600, Justin Shore wrote: > The BSCI on the otherhand was 50% EIGRP (which annoys me to no ends) 25% > OSPF/RIP/BGP/fleeting swipe at IS-IS, and 25% misc other things like > subnetting and IPv6. Ie, if you don't study EIGRP thinking that there > couldn't possibly be many EIGRP questions on a modern test you'd end up > flunking. Um... EIGRP is still semi-widely used last time I checked. It's a complex protocol, but things like unequal cost multipath makes it well worth knowing. And it was OSPF and BGP that took up by far the largest part of my exam, but maybe I was just lucky. :-) Regards, Peter _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
