Justin Shore wrote:

I've been in situations where I had to download an IOS image with the el cheapo browser in my data phone that does not have Java support, save it to the MicroSD card and then use a card reader to transfer that to my laptop so I could fix a critical network issue. Java isn't a universal way of leveling the playing field. It's the bastion of lazy programmers and buzzword-loving PHBs.

I prepared a set of links on an internal Wiki page to IOS images for a new datacentre I am planning. The idea was that one of my team can download the images when they are ready. Guess what doesn't work at all now? That's right - I have to go back and redo the work, and the team member needs to go hunt down the right IOS.

Javascript is one thing, but full-blown Java is wholly unnecessary. I notice Dell.com have a 'download manager' now - but why? What is wrong with a simple HTTP download without all this extra faff?

Peter