On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 01:19:39 am Gert Doering 
wrote:

> Part of our next bid for upstream connectivity will be
> "working traceroute".
> 
> We're getting tired of people blaiming our upstream link
> for transatlantic delays (hidden by traceroute hiding in
> upstream network), packet loss in upstream network,
> problems with the next-hop ISP border routers, etc.
> 
> Yes, we have our share of "customer not able to read
> traceroute", but the pain of "being a customer, and not
> being able to *do* traceroute" is much worse.

I whole-heartedly agree.

Hiding the topology because MPLS makes your network "vanish" 
and appear like one big tunnel is forgetting the fundamental 
principles of routing. I like MPLS, but for what it can 
offer, and not what it takes away. Common sense.

Diminishing troubleshooting capabilities is one of the 
reasons I would - even though temporarily - side with the 
MPLS haters.

Like IPv6, I think it would be reasonable to add "must 
support hop-by-hop traceroute" for upstream bids, since 
everyone loves to run MPLS these days, even when it's 
probably unnecessary.

Of course, I don't care what private networks do with their 
backbones. This post is limited to public service provider 
networks.

For public service provider networks bent on hiding their 
topology, as a friend would say, "I encourage you to do so 
:-)".

Cheers,

Mark.

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to