""pedro quezada"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
8ipcik$a26$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8ipcik$a26$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> he is using a 10.0.0.0 network why in world would you use ip subnet zero.

Because he is attempting to use a zero subnet (10.150.0.0/24 by the end of
my response) ?

> you would only use ip subnet zero if you need all the posible addresses
> posible . He can configure 16 millon host with that private class A
adreess.

Yes, he could use a different portion of the class A to subnet the first
floor. He has plenty of addresses. But that wasn't the question.

> in order for Wesson to determine his subneting scheme .he should think
about
> what is the grouth in computers he will have , does he have remote sites
> (sumarization) , routers in between ....so many things.

Of course, but that was not the question asked.

> wess:
> you can stick with the /16 and keep one whole ip domain with a single
subnet
> or /24 and keep smaller subnets.

It sounded to me as though he wants to route between the floors. If so, how
will using the scheme in his question work? Either he is going to have to
change the first floor to a /24 (add 8 bits like I said) or he will have to
change the other floors to a /16 and bridge everything together.

> it is a rougfh question if the infrastructure is not known .

Yes. More specifics are always helpful.

If I am wrong about how this works, please point out where. I am always
willing to learn something new - that's why I subscribe to this group.

---JRE---

> "NoOneYouKnow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> 8iobs1$k5n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8iobs1$k5n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > This won't work because the subnet for the first floor includes the
> > addresses you are then trying to assign seperately to floors two and
> three.
> > You first floor subnetwork includes addresses from 10.150.0.0 -
> > 10.150.255.255. So, any traffic from floor one to floors two or three
will
> > not be sent to the router because the source will assume, given its
> address
> > and mask, that it exists on the same network as the destination. The
> router
> > won't know where to send traffic from floor two bound for floor three,
> since
> > addresses in the 10.150.102.x range could be on floor one or floor
three.
> > Same for sending from three to two.
> >
> > Will the router even let you set this up this way? I've never tried.
Maybe