From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 12:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Slightly OT: Telco Line Problems

We are having some odd line problems at one of our branches that none of us
have been able to figure out so I thought I'd throw this one out to the
group.

From time to time, sometimes many weeks in between events, our csu/dsu
begins to report OOF and AIS (T1 yellow alarm) errors, but the line will
stay up for a while.  Then, at some point, we'll get a T1 red alarm and the
circuit will die.  We call USWest who then tests the line.  According to
them, they've replaced just about everything between the CO and our
location, and the line tests clean.  Friday it was bouncing every 30-60
seconds so we had them test it again.  Since the test, it has been error
free but they claim not to have discovered any problems.

This is the endless cycle so far:  the line dies, they test, they report no
problems, line mysteriously works fine after test for a several weeks, the
line has problems, the line dies, they test...etc.

My only remaining guesses are these two:  bad csu/dsu that isn't bad all the
time, or intermittent problems at the location (we share it with a very
large supermarket.)

Any thoughts?

TIA,
John Neiberger, CCNA/CCDA