Becky,
    I'm not even sure if this would come into play with just one router and
not using routing protocols, but did you enable ip routing? Ping uses ICMP
which is part of IP so that might be the issue. Hope I helped...and hope I
wasn't wrong in my assumption ;) If someone see's that I was wrong about the
enabling IP routing statement, please reply...It's always good to learn ;) If
I'm wrong I know I'm gonna hear it from you Jim... ;)

Mark Z. ~ CCNA