Hi Ole,

       Let me take the case of T1.  In T1 all the 24 channel are used for
sending data. There will be one framing bit which constitiute to 193 bits. So
193 * 8000 = 1544 kbps. And one bit from every sixth frame in case of
superframe(which consists of 12 T1/DS1 frames)  will  be robbed for signalling.
The robbed bit will be the least significant bit and this concept is known as
robbed-bit signalling. If I am wrong then please correct me.

Thanks,
-Subbi.