The ISDN BRI has two 64 kbps B channels and one 16 kbps D channel. That
gives us a maximum of 128 kbps bandwidth for data which makes sense.

The ISDN PRI has twenty three 64 kbps B channels and one 64 kbps D channel.
That should give us a maximum of 1472 kbps bandwidth for data, and not 1536
kbps as normally specified unless it is possible to use the D channel for
data too ???

The ISDN PRI in Europe has thirty 64 kbps B channels and one 64 kbps D
channel. That should give us a maximum of 1920 kbps for data, and not 2048
kbps as normally specified even if the D channel is used for data too.

Are these numbers just used because it's easier to remember the 1536 and
2048 values, or is there a hidden factor here???

A last question: I sometimes hear people refer to an ISDN PRI as a T1. The
T1 has the same amount of channels and bandwidth, so the question is - are
there really a big difference between these two specifications, or is it
more or less the same???

Some or all of these questions might be answered later on in my book, but I
can't wait any longer - I want to know NOW :-)

Thanks for any comments on this.

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen
 Systems Network Manager