DNS = domain name server

domain name servers host the database for the
mapping between domain names and IP addresses.
This is how you go to a www.yahoo.com etc.
also this is how when you address email to say

[EMAIL PROTECTED] is sent to the mail server which
is accepting mail for the domain indchem.

hope its clear. don;t get confused with different ISPs
etc. as long as your mail servers, web servers, ftp
servers are hosted on routable IP addresses on the
internet everyone who can reach them.
hope it helped.