As long as you are on the Internet, you can communicate with your mail servers hosted anywhere by any ISP no the Internet. Which ISP you use to get your Internet access is totally irrelevant.

For instance, you get your Internet access from some Indian ISP like VSNL. They give you their own IP addresses from the Class Cs assigned to them. Using those IP addresses, your routers/network is connected to the Internet. The router/proxy might be using NAT so you can use private IP addresses on your internal network - and if you are in India with your LAN connected to ISP, this is most likely the case.

Your mail/web servers hosted with some hosting company in the US are on the Internet, using valid Internet IP addresses. That's how you can "talk" to your mail/web servers in the US. The fact that your own router/proxy/network is on a different network/subnet and your mail/web servers are in the US on a different network/subnet is totally irrelevant - as long as you are on the Internet it does not matter, you can talk to each other.

As far as DNS is concerned, it can have entries for hosts on different networks. For instance, in your domain itself, it could have an MX entry for mail servers pointing at your Exchange Server in India, and point the web server (www.indchem.com) to some web server in the US, and yet again point your intranet server (intranet.indchem.com) back to your network in India (as long as it has valid Internet IPs).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you still have questions.

Bharat Suneja
Hi listers,
Im actually a newbie to this list. Could someone tell me how Im getting my mail trafficked onto my exchange server. The reason why Im asking is this my domin is hosted by some ISP somewhere in US but our corporate HQ is somewhere in Asia forget bout where we are sitting!

We are (HQ) hooked to the Internet thro a local ISP on a dedicated link using "global static IP addresses" for browsing and for mailing through our MS-Exchange mail server. Im just wondering how they go together I find that my www.xxxxx.com address is different from the ones given by our local IP address range.

If a mail arises in where do they travel go across before reaching my mail server?

How the hosting of "www site" and the mail server which are with different ISPs in differrent part of world are goes together ofcourse with all the ftp,dns stuffs.

Can someone pour some light to this I will be very much grateful to them....

cheers!
suresh