Something to consider. Although the 3600 can support a HSSI port you need
to think about how much throughput will be going through the router. We had
a 3640 with about 80 BGP entries and about 50 lines of ACL on it with 128MB
of RAM. It had 10-12MB sustained throughput on one of its interfaces and it
would shut the interface down every few hours due to overflowing. Cisco
said that we could use it a little longer with 256MB of RAM but that the
3640 really just can't handle that much sustained throughput. Heck, it ran
60% cpu utilization all the time. IMHO, if you really need the T3 then the
3600 may not be the right router for the situation. We replaced the 3640
with a 7513 and it runs at 5% now. For all the T3s we get now we don't use
anything less than a 7000 series. Just my $.02

Duncan

At 09:32 PM 7/27/00 -0500, D Stevens wrote:
>All,
>
>We are installing a T3 circuit (point-to-point between 2 local sites)and
>looking for 2 routers that support a T3 interface. Have only found the
>7000 series, does the 2600/3600 series support a T3 interface.
>
>Also, should a multiplexor/channelized be used for the connection?
>I believe they may break out around 10 channels for phone but this
>is still up in the air.
>
>I have not handled a T3 before, just a regular T1 interfaces.
>
>Any suggestions or whitepapers would greatly be appreciated.
>Thank you in advance for the tips and feedback.
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Duncan Maccubbin | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Network Engineer
MCP+I,MCSE,CCNA,CCDA,CCNP
CapuNet, LLC - Corporate Internet Solutions
(301) 881-4900 x8039