It does NOT rain all the time. Its just propaganda to keep people from
moving here from California. :-)

Seriously, it does tend to be gray skyed more than is really necessary but
you can count on only having a couple days of snow a year (slushy snow at
that). When it does rain it tends to be fairly light if somewhat extended.
You can usually tell the natives (anyone who's lived here more than 2
years) from the visitors by who is carrying an umbrella. Natives usually
don't bother.

Summers rarely get above 90.

Over all it's not too bad but you might want to keep in mind that the IT
industry here tends to be software-centric due to Microsoft and Nintendo.
Not to mention all the web startups. The web startups have a tendency to
use their server people (often ex-Microserfs) to build the network (lots of
cleanup later - if they survive!). Having an MCSE is just about enough to
get you an interview for a HelpDesk position but the Cisco means a bit more
although BGP is pretty much a given requirement for anyone being hired (all
those web companies).  A large number of the communications, internet,
technology companies have a Data Center / NOC at the Westin Tower.
Something that is very convenient for interviews. It has nice views of
downtown Seattle, Lake Union, and Elliot Bay. They had to rip out one of
the hig-rise elevatory not too long ago because they ran out to space for
power & other cabling. They've driven out most of the lawyers by now. :-)

Bad points: cost of living is a bit high and you can generally count on
sitting in traffic for the commute. Since the two major employment centers
are located to either side of Lake Washington you usually have to hit one
of the bridges to get to work/home.

Good points: coffee & beer - lots of both and very high quality. Stay away
from Starbucks - they overroast their coffee beans so even their "light"
roast tastes burnt.

Anything else you want to know?

Karen E Young
Network Engineer
ELF Technologies, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Jean Stockton

                    <jean.stockton        To:     Billy Monroe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    @wcom.com>            cc:

                    Sent by:              Subject:     RE: where do live

                    nobody@groupst

                    udy.com

                    08/01/00 02:56

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to Jean

                    Stockton

I have been told that Seattle, WA is very beautiful, but it rains all the
time.  A friend of mine said Seattle can be depressing - even though it is
beautiful - because it rains sooooo much.  Seattle folks, is this true?

mjs