Thomas Larus wrote:

> I don't think we can stress enough how important the
> speed/duplex mismatch
> and autonegotiation problems are.  If you are having a LAN
> problem, this is
> one of the first things you should consider.  The interesting
> thing thing
> about duplex mismatch errors is that things can seem like they
> are working
> okay, but you notice problems once in a while.
>
> Every day, probably hundreds of thousands of users and servers
> are
> experiencing less-than-optimal performance because of this kind
> of problem.
> Are some or all of your IP phones rebooting every once in a
> while?  Even
> this could have something to do with a duplex mismatch problem
> somewhere
> between your IP phones and your Call Manager.
>
> One question I have for folks is whether duplex mismatch
> errors between a
> switch and one device on a segment (network printer, PC,
> server, etc.) could
> substantially degrade performance on the switch so that other
> links would be
> impacted in a noticeable way.

Hmmm. That's an interesting question: does a duplex mismatch on one port
degrade performance on the switch in general? I'm thinking out loud here,
but I think it's unlikely.

It would depend on the the duplex mode that the switch port ended up in,
though, and the architecture of the switch. If the switch port ended up in
half duplex, and the port has a lot of frames to send, the port could end up
doing lots of retransmissions. It would retransmit every time it received
while sending. (That would be true for any half-duplex environment, even
without a mismatch, actually.)

If the switch isn't a non-blocking switch, the port that is busy
retransmitting could cause problems for other ports that have something to
send out that port. With head-of-the-line blocking, a frame at the front of
an input queue on some other port could be holding up every frame behind it
because the half-duplex output port is busy retransmitting and can't accept
another frame.

Cisco high-end switches don't have this problem. Switches based on the 5000
architecture have shared buffers where they can ship frames to get them out
of the way of frames behind them.

Now, let's say that the switch port decided it was full duplex but the other
side deciced it was half. That wouldn't cause a serious performance problem
at the switch. The switch port would see lots of runts and CRCs and have to
report them to management, but that shouldn't cause a significant
performance problem.

Priscilla