""Henry D.""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Let me say up front, I don't have much experience in MPLS, I have
> only played with it in the lab and not all that extensively either.
> But CN is simply trying to get an idea of what to expect to go that road.

I believe that was precisely what I answered.

> Is "nrf" saying not to advance in this field by studying Cisco's way of
> emphasising MPLS ?

What I said is that if you want to advance in that field, you will need
substantially more than what Cisco wants you to know about it.  Read my post
again.

>You know, we all have our doubts, he's brave enough
> to come to this group and ask questions. As far as L3VPN's, why not
> concentrate
> on that at least to start with.

I never said not to learn L3VPN's.  Read my post again.  What I said is that
study of L3VPN's shouldn't be emphasized to the degree that Cisco seems to
emphasize it.

> It's still one reason to do the MPLS thing.
> By just
> doing that he'll need to touch on many aspects of MPLS anyway. He will
still
> use either LDP or RSVP, he still will use the LSP establishment, he might
as
> well
> learn the TE options available for establishment of those LSP's. He'll
need
> to learn
> how to use the LSP's for pushing traffic over them. He'll learn what and
how
> the
> labels get pushed/popped. Then why not study it that way. He's not
advancing
> his
> MPLS skills, he might not have any yet. He's simply trying to see if he
will
> be able to utilize any of the skills he will have to learn to make it
worth
> it his while.

No doubt all learning is good.  Again, read my post again.  I never said
that he shouldn't learn it.  What I said is that he shouldn't necessarily
learn it "the Cisco way".

> Well, maybe someone else with more experience in MPLS arena and someone
more
> objective can give a better insight as to whether there is a demand for
> these skills.

Are you implying that I'm not objective - that I have some kind of agenda?

> [...]
the
> > > Big Four Tier 1 SP's....
> >
> > Let me guess.  Do you work for Sprint?
> >
> > >are there other SP's that use MPLS in their
> > > backbone??
> >
> > Yeah, there are some.
> >
> > >I have just given myself a month or so break from my CCIE Lab
> > > Prep.(yeah!yeah! most would consider me stupid on this)  to study MPLS
> > > for the CCIP  and am thinking if I should pursue this subject just
like
> > > did for BGP.....know it inside out cold.....and maybe consider a new
> > > career/job in MPLS (obviously along with BGP, MBGP, MCast etc...) Does
> > > anyone know of how MPLS is viewed out there?   I mean, in terms of
> > > implementation, popularity and last but not the least , $$$ ???
> ;->Which
> > > of the Big SP's or Enterprise networks have implemented MPLS? Has it
> been
> > > worth the advantages that MPLS proposes??Thank you.Sincerely,CN
> >
> > The way I see it is this.  MPLS is potentially powerful technology for
it
> > can be used as a lingua-franca among a carrier's network and transport
> layer
> > and also as a way to impose circuit-switching discipline upon IP and
> > therefore offer circuit-switching services with a pure IP network.
> >
> > But MPLS is by no means a slam-dunk.   Certain carriers, most notably
> > Sprint, have elected not to go down the MPLS path because they believe
the
> > technology is immature (and they are correct) and also because they
> believe
> > that they can garner the benefits of MPLS by other means (also correct).
> > The point is that while MPLS offers great potential, it also presents
> > problems, so implementing it is not a no-brainer.
> >
> > And furthermore, I don't particularly like the way that Cisco is pushing
> > MPLS, particularly in its cert program.  In my opinion, I think Cisco's
> cert
> > programs emphasize the least useful parts of MPLS while neglecting the
> more
> > useful parts.  For example, I don't understand why Cisco pushes LDP the
> way
> > it does, for LDP merely builds LSP's that correspond to the route table,
> but
> > what's so useful about having LDP's that look like the route table?  It
is
> > far more useful to build LSP's that differ from the route table, but the
> > methods of doing that are not really covered very much (if at all) in
the
> > Cisco curricula.  Also, I don't understand why Cisco places such an
> emphasis
> > on L3VPN's, as if L3VPNs were the only important service that MPLS
> enables.
> > L3VPN's are only one of the new services that you can enable, and in my
> > opinion, one of the less important ones.  Far more important are the
L2VPN
> > capabilities and the ability to unify IP, ATM, and optical into a single
> > management plane.    The point I'm making is that if you merely study
MPLS