I don't mean to start any type of argument here, especially with someone
who obviously has more experience than I do. Yes, you've been
contributing to this study group many times. But also many times
your contributions are rather rethorical than practical and at the same
time you seem to draw attention to what your opinion is rather than to
give an educated and objective view backed by any type of real life
examples. So yes, I'm saying that some times you don't quite stick
to the subject at hand. I don't see how your view on Cisco's curriculum
in re to MPLS can be taken seriously without you putting actual examples
of how you came to that conclusion. Even if the knowledge required for
achieving
Cisco's recognition in re to MPLS was not as advanced as one would hope,
shouldn't we look at positives of the whole process ? There are still things
to be learnt, and emphasising them rather than the weaknesses would be a
better idea. You won't become an expert just by passing the test or taking a
trainig
class, but at the same token, you can still learn a lot while achieving
those CCXX
goals.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be a good response coming, so let me be done
with this subject. I had an early start today and I'm tired now.

Good night !

""nrf""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ""Henry D.""  wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Let me say up front, I don't have much experience in MPLS, I have
> > only played with it in the lab and not all that extensively either.
> > But CN is simply trying to get an idea of what to expect to go that
road.

> I believe that was precisely what I answered.
>
> > Is "nrf" saying not to advance in this field by studying Cisco's way of
> > emphasising MPLS ?
>
> What I said is that if you want to advance in that field, you will need
> substantially more than what Cisco wants you to know about it.  Read my
post
> again.
>
> >You know, we all have our doubts, he's brave enough
> > to come to this group and ask questions. As far as L3VPN's, why not
> > concentrate
> > on that at least to start with.
>
> I never said not to learn L3VPN's.  Read my post again.  What I said is
that
> study of L3VPN's shouldn't be emphasized to the degree that Cisco seems to
> emphasize it.
>
> > It's still one reason to do the MPLS thing.
> > By just
> > doing that he'll need to touch on many aspects of MPLS anyway. He will
> still
> > use either LDP or RSVP, he still will use the LSP establishment, he
might
> as
> > well
> > learn the TE options available for establishment of those LSP's. He'll
> need
> > to learn
> > how to use the LSP's for pushing traffic over them. He'll learn what and
> how
> > the
> > labels get pushed/popped. Then why not study it that way. He's not
> advancing
> > his
> > MPLS skills, he might not have any yet. He's simply trying to see if he
> will
> > be able to utilize any of the skills he will have to learn to make it
> worth
> > it his while.
>
> No doubt all learning is good.  Again, read my post again.  I never said
> that he shouldn't learn it.  What I said is that he shouldn't necessarily
> learn it "the Cisco way".
>

> > Well, maybe someone else with more experience in MPLS arena and someone
> more
> > objective can give a better insight as to whether there is a demand for
> > these skills.
>
> Are you implying that I'm not objective - that I have some kind of agenda?
>

> > ""nrf""  wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > ""Cisco Nuts""  wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > MPLS
> the
> > >
> > > Let me guess.  Do you work for Sprint?

> > > Yeah, there are some.

MPLS
> like
Does
> > ;->Which
> > been
> > >
> > > The way I see it is this.  MPLS is potentially powerful technology for
> it
> > > can be used as a lingua-franca among a carrier's network and transport
> > layer
> > > and also as a way to impose circuit-switching discipline upon IP and
> > > therefore offer circuit-switching services with a pure IP network.
> > >
> > > But MPLS is by no means a slam-dunk.   Certain carriers, most notably
> > > Sprint, have elected not to go down the MPLS path because they believe
> the
> > > technology is immature (and they are correct) and also because they
> > believe
> > > that they can garner the benefits of MPLS by other means (also
correct).
> > > The point is that while MPLS offers great potential, it also presents
> > > problems, so implementing it is not a no-brainer.
> > >
> > > And furthermore, I don't particularly like the way that Cisco is
pushing
> > > MPLS, particularly in its cert program.  In my opinion, I think
Cisco's
> > cert
> > > programs emphasize the least useful parts of MPLS while neglecting the
> > more
> > > useful parts.  For example, I don't understand why Cisco pushes LDP
the
> > way
> > > it does, for LDP merely builds LSP's that correspond to the route
table,
> > but
> > > what's so useful about having LDP's that look like the route table?
It