Thank you so much for your enlightening reply!!

And thank God I moved away from Novell to MS to Citrix and finally Cisco
and now onto MPLS.......And thank God "it is a very specialized and small
market right now that is looking for MPLS experience"....All the more
better to develop skills in MPLS as every Tom, Dick and Harry is either
just  routing or switching   ;- )

Looks like MPLS is the way to go!!! Come'on Sprint.....Let's get on with
the Show :-)

>From: """" >Reply-To: """" >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: Re: A
career in MPLS..... [7:66609] >Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 04:47:44 GMT > >Ah -
MPLS. Yes there are several large carriers with MPLS >deployed or in the
process of deploying it (equant, global >crossing...). Some on their core
and some on their layer 2 networks >such as ATM (AT&T for example).
Others backed away from it but >are now looking at it since it's a huge
marketing beast that can't be >ignored (Sprint for example). > >Aside
from ISP's some large enterprises are using it for things like >MPLS
enabled VPN's. As to the market for someone that knows >MPLS - what I
have seen is it's a very specialized and small market >right now that is
looking for MPLS experience. Mostly due to it still >being relatively new
in deployments and being relatively small in the >number of deployments.
> >I do believe however after saying that - that it never hurts to have a
>wide background of skills. Imagine if you specialized in Novell and
>never moved into other areas for example. Novell is a great product >but
the market for Novell pro's dried up a lot from the good ole days. >You
would be much less marketable if you didn't also know other >things such
as Microsoft or Routing or ....... > >I could go into my opinions of the
pros and cons of MPLS and where >I think it fits - but that's another
boring story for later :) > > >www.ccie4u.com > > > >On 1 Apr 2003 at
15:47, nrf wrote: > > > ""Cisco Nuts"" wrote in message > >
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > Hello group, How
does one feel about a career in MPLS...I mean doing MPLS > > > as part of
your core job day in and out.....Is it worth it? Since our > > > network
does not use MPLS (maybe never will) inspite of being one of the > > >
Big Four Tier 1 SP's.... > > > > Let me guess. Do you work for Sprint? >
> Yeah, there are some. > > > > >I have just given myself a month or so
break from my CCIE Lab > > > Prep.(yeah!yeah! most would consider me
stupid on this) to study MPLS > > > for the CCIP and am thinking if I
should pursue this subject just like I > > > did for BGP.....know it
inside out cold.....and maybe consider a new > > > career/job in MPLS
(obviously along with BGP, MBGP, MCast etc...) Does > > > anyone know of
how MPLS is viewed out there? I mean, in terms of > > > implementation,
popularity and last but not the least , $$$ ??? >;->Which > > > of the
Big SP's or Enterprise networks have implemented MPLS? Has it been > > >
worth the advantages that MPLS proposes??Thank you.Sincerely,CN > > > >
The way I see it is this. MPLS is potentially powerful technology for it
> > can be used as a lingua-franca among a carrier's network and
transport >layer > > and also as a way to impose circuit-switching
discipline upon IP and > > therefore offer circuit-switching services
with a pure IP network. > > > > But MPLS is by no means a slam-dunk.
Certain carriers, most notably > > Sprint, have elected not to go down
the MPLS path because they believe the > > technology is immature (and
they are correct) and also because they believe > > that they can garner
the benefits of MPLS by other means (also correct). > > The point is that
while MPLS offers great potential, it also presents > > problems, so
implementing it is not a no-brainer. > > > > And furthermore, I don't
particularly like the way that Cisco is pushing > > MPLS, particularly in
its cert program. In my opinion, I think Cisco's >cert > > programs
emphasize the least useful parts of MPLS while neglecting the more > >
useful parts. For example, I don't understand why Cisco pushes LDP the
way > > it does, for LDP merely builds LSP's that correspond to the route
table, >but > > what's so useful about having LDP's that look like the
route table? It is > > far more useful to build LSP's that differ from
the route table, but the > > methods of doing that are not really covered
very much (if at all) in the > > Cisco curricula. Also, I don't
understand why Cisco places such an >emphasis > > on L3VPN's, as if
L3VPNs were the only important service that MPLS enables. > > L3VPN's are
only one of the new services that you can enable, and in my > > opinion,
one of the less important ones. Far more important are the L2VPN > >
capabilities and the ability to unify IP, ATM, and optical into a single
> > management plane. The point I'm making is that if you merely study
MPLS > > according to the Cisco curricula, you really haven't learned
much about it > > that's actually useful. > > > > > > > >
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]