Tom,

Congratulations, it appears that you hit the nail right on the head.  Router
ID was not an issue - I just failed to show you the loopback interfaces.
The issue was apparently network type.  As soon as I hard-set R2s network
type to point-to-multipoint (it was, as you correctly pointed out,
non-broadcast by default), the virtual link came up.  What I now don't
understand is why I had a full neighbor relationship before I changed the
network type.  Shouldn't the mismatch have caused my neighbor relationship
to be affected?

Thanks for the tip!
Kevin