Priscilla,

I've found that CDP works great for identifying transit Ethernet
switches since CDP details IP addresses, and suprisingly picks up more
that just Cisco equipment.  I've noticed HP switches providing CDP, but
most of the networks I work with are primarily Cisco.  One of the
biggest benefits of CDP is that it's really easy to remotely automate
and parse, allowing automated network topology generation.

Granted STP works more globally, but doesn't have any way of showing an
associated IP address (most of my scripts have been geared towards
troubleshooting, where most often it's valuable to Telnet to the next
"hop" and get it's perspective).  I suppose STP contains a bridge ID
that can be cross-referenced to an IP address, assuming a central
database exists.

To be honest I haven't done anything too elaborate with STP scripting
since CDP has worked out so well, except on a couple of occasions where
I found platforms/IOSs where CDP isn't enabled by default...  I had
plans of extending my scripts with STP to identify root bridge placement
and identify L2 transit paths.  Perhaps someday I'll actually have the
free time to do it! :)

- Tom

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

 >> Since switches do transparent bridging, how would you know that they are
 >> there? It's hard to see something that is transparent. Perhaps
there's some
 >> spanning-tree info you could gather that would illuminate the logical
 >> topology and the path frames would take. It would only be for that
LAN though.