John,

And I promised myself I wouldn't get drawn into the perennial debate, but
here it goes.

Perhaps I am not getting my principal point across, but I do not wish to
devalue or overrate any piece of paper.  The fact is that you cannot rate a
person based on some "benchmark," unless you are a "(del monte fruit)
processing" unit like a large Fortune Company 500 HR shop.  The idea is that
of being fair, on judging matters and people on a case by case basis, and
not treat them like chiquita bananas for the packing.

As an independent consultant working on term contracts, I have been turned
down offers due to the competitor having the "degree," (CS degree) but I
have been called back to clean my competitor's trash of a job.  One had a CS
degree specializing in mainframe analysis, but apparently he had no idea how
to do an upgrade on a Windows domain; and the customers paid for it twice.

With due respect to those who genuinely eanred their degrees (as well as
those who genuinely earned their certs), the holder of the degree can also
be - as is a good percentage of the time - someone who failed calculus 5
times, took between 3-4 years to "earn" his AA (going full time), stumbled
through chem with a d- in his junior year, got through the basic
requirements by only fullfilling the most basic requirements, jumbled
through class in a disorganized and semi-conscious state, skipped the
majority of lectures, paid for most of his english and sociology term
papers, and then earned his "degree."  He then was dumped into a company
only to be discovered to be the moron that he is.  I had a coworker that fit
precisely this profile.  He went further and got himself an MCSE, and his
"study method" was that of going to the test at the minimum required
increments between failures, repeatedly.  In other words, he took the
workstation 4.0 test 6 times until he remembered all the questions.  He then
skimmed by and got 10 points higher than the minimum, and VOILA!, a
certified "degree holder," the "ideal package" with the "soft and hard
skills" blah blah.

College apparently did not give him the "soft skills" that you mention!

Should we go ahead and propagate myths on "good ole' frat boys or sorority
chicks" who got the "degree" through thrashing the system?  Hey, there are
"papers BSs as well, load of them, pushing paper, badly, all over the labor
market.  Lynch 'em!"

Moreover, a degree and the knowledge it gives gets OUTDATED as the market
shifts (as was the case with the competing consultant above), and thus the
supplement - if one must measure the person with a piece of paper or "lapel
pin," can only be the vendor cert.  Some of the smarter recruiters and HR
people that I have dealt with were FULLY aware and alert about this.  They
were SPECIFICALLY looking for those who had updated their vendor certs, but
they mistrusted that criterion enough to throw in a hefty tech interview as
well.

I thank God at this point that I have the energy to avoid the
two-dimensional sorts of HR departments and work independently.  The
hypocrisy involved, the lack of professional integrity one has to deal with
when working in a half-wit "HR screened" department causes for too many
brain cells to slough off.  Aging should be a natural and timely process.