Hi,

I've been following this discussion about the Certs vs. a College Degree and
I'd like to just add something that people should really think hard about
before they choose between the two, and share some of my own observations
working in the current IT industry.

I don't know if everyone is aware of this, but the current trend in the U.S.
high-tech industry is the ongoing and increasing trend of the  exportation
of IT jobs to Asia and India where workers will work for 10% of what we are
paid here in the U.S. This is a pure and simple business decision, and I
understand why companies are doing this, although the consequences to us
here in the U.S. who now work in the IT industry is not so comforting. Just
as most of the manufacturing jobs have left the U.S., the same thing is
going on for IT as well. Globalization is here to stay and there's really
not much we can do about this trend as corporations cross national borders
and their loyalty is not towards their workers, but toward their invenstors.

Competition for IT jobs is now fierce, and although not all IT jobs will
leave the U.S., I do not think we will see what happened in the 90's repeat
itself. In many ways, from what I've seen going on in the last couple of
years, in general what you know doesn't hold as much weight as who you know
in finding and keeping IT employment.

I am in the networking industry now, and without mentioning the company I
work for, which is a major player, we are still going through layoffs and
downsizing. I honestly do not know whether I will have a job from week to
week, and it isn't because my work skills are poor or lack the certs. Many
of my collegues have been laid off in the last two years, had far more
skills and certs than I had, and are sadly still out of work.

I frankly feel quite upset that the work I do is some of the most
challenging I've ever done and enjoy immensely most of the time, but the
hard facts regarding the health of the IT industry in this county seems to
indicate that I'm faced with another career change sooner rather than later.
I don't think many of us in the IT field can be certain we will have long
term careers anymore.

That being said, in my opinion,  the College degree is a far more valuable
basis on which to build a career. Even if you get your B.S./B.A. degree in
one subject, you can build on it and get a Masters in another subject if you
find the industry you are in changing, or if you seek a career change at
some point. This is important to remember, because the average person in
today's world will end up changing careers many times in a life time as
opposed to working for one company like many of our fathers did.

One of the most important things to remember is that the degree you earn can
never be taken away -- Cisco Certs are valid for only a few years and if you
let them lapse you have to start all over again. That's not to say someone
in the IT field won't continue to grow, recertify or earn newer Certs at a
higher level, but those Certs will never make up for the fact that if the
job you are applying for requires a college degree - which many, many of the
better jobs do -- and if you don't have one, you will not even be considered
for the position, even when you have industry experience.

As a side note, many of us in the IT industry went into the industry with
Certs, but due to the reality of our jobs taking 60 - 70 hours of our time
each week, many of us have let our Certs lapse because there just is no time
left at the end of the week to devote to training. I would love to have the
opportunity to increase my skill set outside of what my job requires, but it
isn't realistic right now.

Anyway, my point in all this is to suggest to everyone that the best thing
we can do to help ourselves navigate through our lives and working careers
is to try and make choices that will provide us with the most options down
the road, and regardless of whether you agree with the system or not, the
college degree offers the most flexibility and a solid foundation in the
long run, while the Certs should be seen as finite, short run solution to
gaining the knowledge you need to do your job now.

My two cents...