""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> The Road Goes Ever On wrote:

snip a few things for brevety

> > > If I have both APs act as bridges to link the larger office
> > will the small
> > > single pc office still be able to connect or would that
> > require a separate
> > AP?
>
> Why is he considering bridging at all? Why can't the 4 PCs use the access
> point connected to the hub in their office? I haven't followed the entire
> discussion, so maybe that's not appropriate, but it has me wondering.

an access point can operate in one of two modes - as an access point ( or
hub, if you will ) to which end stations access the wired network, or as a
point-to-point bridge ( connecting one AP to another )

in the case mentioned here, two access points will not communicate data in
the manner required. it's kinda like asking a hub to be a router or visa
versa.

my own estimation -

Outside_Network------hub/switch------AP(acting as bridge)--------AP(acting
as bridge--------hub/switch-------services

HTH

> > yep - need a wireless bridge pair for each connection. Or you
> > can go to
> > Proxim ( www.proxim.com ) and look for point-to-multipoint
> > bridges - but
> > they cost big time. hell... a couple hundred bucks per AP /
> > bridge - why
> > bother? ask your new found friends to kick in.

snip irrelevant things that should have been addressed privately