The Road Goes Ever On wrote:

> sorry for the sarcasm, but it's late and I really should be
> doing more
> important things like sleeping.........
>

> ""Don Kanicki""  wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Thanks for the responces.
> >
> > All of our machines are used for email\web with the exception
> of the
> > accounting pc which is not on the network.Im going to look
> into some kind
> of
> > software firewall for our network and I can only assume the
> other offices
> > will do the same.
>
> OK. just wanted to be sure that things wotrth protecting were
> being
> protected. :->
>

> > All offices are on the same floor and next to each other.
> > The largest of the two is the one with the 4 pcs and the
> distance between
> > their AP and ours is less than 50' separated by 2 standard
> walls (no
> > concrete or block).
>

> still - you never can tell. You need to do a walk around with a
> laptop just
> to see what kind of signal strength you get in the necessary
> locations.
>

> > Our office is all ethernet to a switch which our AP and
> router connect
> > to.The office with 4 machines is all ethernet to a hub which
> their AP
> > connects to.and the other office with 1 pc is a stand alone
> box that will
> > connect via wireless nic.
> >
> > I wasnt thrilled about this idea from the word go but my boss
> sees this as
> > way to cover some of the cost of the circuit as hes charging
> them a
> monthly
> > fee.
>
> pointy hair?  dolt? hate to knock a guy whose doing his best to
> make a buck
> and provide jobs for people........
>

> > If I have both APs act as bridges to link the larger office
> will the small
> > single pc office still be able to connect or would that
> require a separate
> AP?

Why is he considering bridging at all? Why can't the 4 PCs use the access
point connected to the hub in their office? I haven't followed the entire
discussion, so maybe that's not appropriate, but it has me wondering.

> yep - need a wireless bridge pair for each connection. Or you
> can go to
> Proxim ( www.proxim.com ) and look for point-to-multipoint
> bridges - but
> they cost big time. hell... a couple hundred bucks per AP /
> bridge - why
> bother? ask your new found friends to kick in.
>
> Hey, Priscilla, see what I mean? Design is DEAD! Expedience is
> EVERYTHING!

Chuck,

I think you have developed tunnel vision since you're in sales. What a
shame. You should think about what your customers did to get to the point
where they need to buy products from you. In most cases, product purchases
come after a lot of systems analysis, project planning, software
development, site surveys, bandwidth usage analysis, and other design work.
There are many books that you could read on the topic to help you. Somebody
just gave me a copy of Systems Analysis and Design, 4th edition, by Kendall
& Kendall. Great book. It's a classic. The other option is to talk to your
customers more, or perhaps it's time to find another job. Do you really want
to just push boxes on people for a living? You need to do something to
recover from your tunnel vision, bitterness, and silly competetiveness.

Someone also just sent me a URL to this newspaper article that points out
the importance of learning business practices, not just particular
technologies. It's a good read:

So, you got a reaction, Chuck. Now, would you please stop it. Please do not
use my name in your replies.

Priscilla