Aaron Ajello wrote:

> This is probably a very simple concept question, but I've asked
> a couple people and haven't gotten a solid answer.
>
> If I've got two frame relay spoke sites connected point to
> point with a hub site and a server in one spoke site copies a
> file to a server in the other spoke site, does all the traffic
> pass through the hub site, or is it switched within the frame
> cloud?

All the traffic passes through the hub site.

> I guess what I'm wondering is does a frame cloud act somewhat
> like a lan, where initially packets will go through the default
> gateway and be routed and then the following packets will be
> switched?

A frame cloud does act like a LAN but a LAN without a router (and no
broadcasting, but that's another story). You mixed metaphors by sticking in
the router, which is a layer up. The only reason a LAN switch can route and
then switch is because it's really a router (dare I say L3 switch!? :-) Or
it is in communication with a router, running Cisco's Multilayer Switching
Protcol (MLSP), and has an understanding of L3 addressing.

A Frame Relay switch is just a L2 switch. It really does behave quite a bit
like a classic LAN L2 switch. It has a switching table that has a set of
entries that say, "if packet comes in on this DLCI, it goes out on that
DLCI." This is similar to a L2 bridging/switching cam table, although there
are differences.

The Frame Relay switch understands the virtual circuits that have been
provisioned to the customer.

With a hub and spoke topology, the spokes don't have a virtual circuit to
each other. They just have a virtual circuit to the hub.

So imagine a hub and spoke topology with Chicago being the Hub. Make Los
Angeles and Miami the spokes.

Chicago has two virtual circuits:

DLCI 100 goes to Los Angeles
DLCI 200 goes to Miami

Los Angeles has just one virtual circuit:
DLCI 777 goes to Chicago

Miami has just one virtual circuit
DLCI 888 goes to Chicago

A switch in Chicago has two entries in its switching table:

incoming = 100, outgoing = 777
incoming = 200, outoing = 888

A switch in Los Angeles has the following entry in its switching table

incoming = 777, outgoing = 100

A switch in Miam has the following entry in its switching table

incoming = 888, outgoing = 200

If you can get your hands on enough routers, set up one of them to be a
Frame Relay switch in a hub-and-spoke topology. Just a switch, no routing.
It's truly an eye opener to manually configure its switching table (and it
is generally done manually, unlike a LAN switch.)

Actually, from what I understand, there can be intermediate DLCIs in the
cloud too, but that's a high-level view. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong
about it. I'm a bit tired after the NetBIOS biopsy or was it a lobotomy. :-)

Priscilla