Tell me if I am wrong: (off my hat)

Nat on pix only would cause me to use the 1700 as router/ routed subnet
between pix>1700.
Because I am using a private range, I need to address a packet from a
private IP address and to internet / from internet to a private ip address.
Wich would not work. Because 1700 would not do nat.(Joel).

When it does NAT, the segment between 1700 and pix would be private
(10.165.251.240/28 for example not the most used 192.168.x.x)

Tell the pix to do NAT with the NAT norandomseq keyword. So tcp sockets
would not be randomized.

On the 1700 filter until layer 4, make a nice and hefty access-list that
denies it all exept initiated inside.

Really do use dmz for mail filtering and web front-end!

If you do punch holes in the pix to inside, please buy linksys or
netgear.......  ;-)

Make a plan for ids/syslog and time sync, use it and update it!
Make a plan for intrusions/reactions, use it and update it!

See SAFE website.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns110/ns170/ns171/ns128/networking_solutio
ns_package.html

Martijn