"Because I am using a private range, I need to address a packet from a
private IP address and to internet / from internet to a private ip address.
Which would not work. Because 1700 would not do nat"

You are correct.  I will setup access lists and the IP Inspect on the router.

Should I just disable NAT, or would the NAT with the no random keyword be
better?  As it is now, I have NAT on both, with the web server and email
server setup with a static statement using the same address for the inside
and outside addresses (so it translates the inside address to the inside
address going out), then put a route statement on the router telling it to
send anything for the internal network address to the PIX.  It works, but I
feel it is clumsy and possibly dangerous.

Thank you all for the help so far!  This forum is great!!