Nope, I don't have VTP configured at the moment.  I have a SWAG of my own,
too.  I think it may be due to the fact that I have no ports configured for
VLAN2 that are up/up.  My guess is that if I were to go grab someone's
laptop and connect it to a port in VLAN2, then it would allow me to do a "no
shut".   That seems like strange behavior to me, though.

"shutdown" by definition is administrative, which should have no bearing on
the actual state of an interface.  I think it should allow me to activate
the VLAN regardless of the status of member ports.