I say look for a 1605 on ebay. They have 2 ethernet ports, so it can
actually be used in a practical scenario instead of just to play with. You
should be able to find one relatively cheap on ebay. Or, if you can't find a
1605, many sellers offer 2 2501's in a bundle. Then just run them back to
back behind your cable modem.

        cable modem

                |  ethernet

        cisco 2501

                |  T1 or serial connection

        cisco 2501

                |  ethernet

        your home lan

In either of those 2 situations, you can setup the cisco w/ nat, packet
filtering, firewalling, etc. But as far as cisco routers go, a few hundred
bucks is a small investment if you plan on pursuing a career involving cisco
gear. You won't regret it. :)

-Norm