Comments within

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Saturday, August 26, 2000 2:25 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        dividing up the same subnet on 2 diff segments

 Hi

  I have a question? I have two routers okay and I have routing turned on
both of them (EIGRP). lets say I want to use 10.1.1.0 and I want to be able
to to split this subnet into two networks, I know you can use IP subnet-zero
to do this,

CL: well, not exactly. IP subnet-zero allows the router to work with the all
zero subnet. It is not necessarily related to splitting a 24 bit prefix into
two 25 bit prefixes. There is something of a subtle distinction to be made
here.

but I want to address the first router E0 Interface with 10.1.1.1
to 10.1.1.126 and the second router E0 with the second half 10.1.1.127 to
10.1.1.254 ok.

CL: yes. Can be done do you know the mask to use?

Now I want to be able to ping each others gateway.

CL: nothing stopping you :->

Can I or should I be able to ping each others gateway and have one flat
segment between 2 router Ethernet segment. Do I need to bridge this? these
two segments together.

CL: now we are getting into a bit of subtlety here.  When you configure the
router ethernet port with an IP address you give it a single host number,
which must be unique. So, the command IP address 10.1.1.1 25.255.255.128
defines that interface. It does NOT specify a range of addresses controlled
by that interface, which is what I think you may be thinking. Rather, it
becomes the information which the configured routing protocol uses to
determine the location of a particular network ( or subnet, or range of
addresses, if you will )

So if you have configured your two routers correctly, and the ethernet ports
on each indicates a proper and unique subnet, the routing protocols will
advertise that information, and the routing tables of each router will
contain that information, subject to rules about VLSM and classful/classless
routing which may or may not apply.

Bridging is used to extend LAN segments, and as a primitive means of network
segmentation. Bridging does NOT imply different prefixes, or different
network masks. Rather, it implies more than one segment, all of which
contain hosts that are part of the same subnet.

Routing and bridging are two entirely different things, and are used for
different reasons in a network.

Does this help?

Chuck

Brian