Yes, you are right.But if without that command, the routers will
auto-summary the routing.then the another router found a main network
routing,say "172.16.0.0", because it connect the "172.16.10.0" dirctly,
then it will ignore the "172.16.0.0" routing, In its view, it connect
the "172.16.0.0" dirctly. So, the guy can not ping the router from the
other router.

Chuck Larrieu wrote:

> The auto-summary and no auto-summary commands have nothing to do with the
> ability of EIGRP to work with VLSM.
>
> In EIGRP, automatic summarization takes place in the routing process when
> several subnets are entered into the process, subnets which will
> automatically be summarized at the higher classful boundary.
>
> For example:
>
> Router eigrp 100
> Network 172.16.10.0
> Network 172.16.25.0
> Network 172.16.204.0
>
> The default auto-summary would summarize this as 172.16.0.0
>
> In theory you should be able to turn off auto-summarization so that you can
> perform CIDR summarization on an interface by interface basis.
>
> Interface s0
> Summary-address eigrp 100 172.0.0.0 255.0.0.0
>
> For this to work, auto-summarization must be disabled using the no
> auto-summary command under the router process.
>
> EIGRP will support the subnets below with no problem.
>
> Chuck

begin:          vcard
fn:             cisco_ccna
n:              ;cisco_ccna
org:            passion digital communication,Ltd.
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
note:           Internet,the best word I have met all over the world. Cisco, the real business.
x-mozilla-cpt:  www.pdc.com;2
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard