On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> A client's LAN was implemented with a stack of three Cabletron hubs and
> the Ethernet interface of a Cisco 2522 router has three secondary
> addresses in addition to the primary. There are two Windows NT servers
> and about thirty workstations.

by having three subnets, you are causing traffic between subnets to be
twice as much as if they were a single subnet.  This is because each
packet must goto the router, and then back out the interface to the
destination, which is all on the same collision domain........so that can
be bad for collisions for one.  One way to solve this is to run an IGP so
that workstations can realize that the addreses are actually reachable
directly.

> The problem is that we've been having a lot of excessive collisions on
> the Ethernet interface and therefore have decided to introduce CAT 5002
> switch in to the LAN.
>
> How best can we modify the LAN with the hubs and the switch to reduce
> the collisions? Any opinion is welcome.

switch as much as possible, hub as less as possible :)  Seriously, you
will have to first start by examining your traffic flows.