Mayby this is where the famous and mysterious missing 300 points come from
(past discussions about how tests are scored)... ;-)
        - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 7:44 AM
To: Brian; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Nigel Taylor; Chuck Larrieu
Subject: Re: Exam 350-001, I'm so pissed!

I have to agree with Chuck on this matter. The survey IS NOT / CAN'T BE an
influence on your score. The cisco exams are not even "adaptive" like the
Novell
exams. The questions are pulled from a pool established by evaluating the
beta
exam results and a certain number of questions are pulled for each
subsection of
the exam. There really would be no point to making the exam difficulty
relative to
survey responses. If Cisco did that, the exams would be WORTHLESS, allowing
you to
sandbag them by answering that you are a complete novice. What is the CCIE
written
supposed to do ? Fill out the survey that you have 2 weeks experience and
it'll
give you CCNA-level questions instead of asking about obscure details of
token
ring? The difficulty level of the exam is a constant, not a variable.

Niall

Brian wrote:

> I agree that hard work and studying is the only way to truley accomplish
> certification and be worth your weight.  I do want to re-iterate though
> that the questionairre does in fact play a part in scoring your test, and
> if nothing else, you should answer it honestly (in other words, don't get
> saying you have advanced experience in every single subject, and are a
> jedi knight of the internet then expect an easy scoring).
>
> some people may not pay attention to the questionairre and pencil wip it,
> which may prove to be a bad idea.
>
> I feel "exam crams" should only be used for those who already have a solid
> foundation of the subject at hand, and just need to be refreshed as to
> what topics and key items may be on the test.
>
> Personally i think ciscopress books are among the best for any of these
> tests, but they are avoided often because they go very much in depth and
> can be quite long (usually 600-800 pages).  People get turned off, and
> they go an easier route.  Don't get me wrong, alot of other companies make
> great books............all I am saying is reading a "routing exam
> cram" that is 150-200 pages, vs. Routing TCP/IP which is 800
> pages..............something gets lost there, and it may prove to be
> essential information down the road.
>
> Brian
>
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Nigel Taylor wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >                     I don't suppose anyone is planning on going to take
the
> > lab anticipating that they
> > become a *CCIE* by merely how well they complete the survey...
> >
> > OOPS..!!   No, survey..  When taking the lab..  Does any of our
> > resident(studygroup) CCIE's
> > care to comment.
> >
> > Enough already......
> > Nigel

Of
> > > Brian
> > > Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2000 8:43 PM
> > > To: shanseverijn
> > > Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: Re: Exam 350-001,  I'm so pissed!
> > >

> > > shannon,
> > >
> > > you bring up a good point.  All the cisco tests make you take the
> > > questionairre in the beginning (as you of course know), and a
disclaimer
> > > says that your final score will depend on how you answer that
> > > questionaire.  I am curious to as to what effect the questionaire has
on
> > > the actual score and how it is calculated.

B.S.
> > All
> > > my
> > thing.
> > going
> > > what
> > > went
> > an
> > > got
> > > whole
> > > can't
> > Like
> > > weird

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Some of my best information on tuning EIGRP came from colleagues,
both native and US military, in the former Yugoslavia.  They pointed
out how to tune around error rates caused by gunfire hitting the
telephone lines.

 - Howard Berkowitz on Groupstudy 3/13/2000