From: Nova Rich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 9:54 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: subinterfaces

hey guys,

I was wondering how to apply subinterfaces. I have 1 ether port on my router
(1600) and need 2 links to the switch. One for public IP and the other for
private IP.

I type in "int e0.1", then "ip add x.x.x.x mask" but I get this instead,

"Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that
subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10 or ISL vLAN."

I don't know why this won't work and further more I can't seem to remove the
subinterface. I type in (no int e0.1) but I still see the interface when I
do a (sh ip in b).

"Ethernet0.1              unassigned      YES manual deleted
down"

It's marked as deleted but how do I get rid of it entirely?

How do I configure subinterfaces and how do I remove them?

NovaRich