This is correct.  And my understanding of the reason you can't use subinterfaces here:

With frame relay, we are used to having subinterfaces.  They are on the same physical
interface, so if you think about it, something in every frame is telling the router
which subinterface it belongs to.  It's something at layer 2, because it needs to work
with all different network protocols.  Frame relay has the DLCI, so that works.

With Ethernet subinterfaces, the layer 2 designator among multiple packets would be
the vlan ID.  That's why you got the message you did - ethernet subinterfaces only
apply if multiple vlans are coming in on the physical interface.  And the vlan
trunking protocol (such as ISL) is what carries the vlan ID in, so it has to be
running on the interface.  A protocol like this could be seen on a Fast ethernet, but
not an ethernet.

>>> Reinhold Fischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 08/31 7:55 PM >>>
Hi Nova, Hi Group,

you probably have to use a secondary ip-address on the interface instead
the subinterface.

int e0
ip address <ip> <mask> secondary

To get rid of the subinterface entirely you have to reload the router
(not 100% sure of this but we will see the other replies ;)

hth

Reinhold

--
Reinhold Fischer
CCNP/SCSA/HP Certified Consultant for Network Management